Pages

7.27.2016

Book Report - Styled

After completing the epic PopSugar 2015 Reading Challenge, I took a long mental break from reading at the beginning of the year. Back in March though, I officially finished my first book of 2016, Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves by Emily Henderson.
Design Star winner, former HGTV host, Target brand ambassador, and blogger, Emily Henderson, dishes all her styling secrets in her first book, Styled: Secrets for Arranging Rooms, from Tabletops to Bookshelves. Learn the tricks of the trade while browsing page after page of beautifully styled interiors.

Emily Henderson has been one of my favorite interior designer since her Secrets From a Stylist days, and I have learned so much from reading her blog over the years. I was really excited for her book to come out, and I read it cover to cover. The book is chock-full of gorgeous rooms that are all expertly styled, and it's worth the price just to sit and flip through the pages looking at all the pretty rooms.

However, I really wanted to learn how to style, so I actually read this thing. That's where, I'm afraid to say, I was a bit disappointed. First, there was the quiz at the beginning of the book you're supposed to take to nail down your style. Bill and I took it together and ended up both utterly confused.

For example:
You love to fill your bookshelf with lots of objects, books, and accessories: 
a. Yes
b. No

Well, what else would you fill your bookshelves with if not some combination of those three things?

Or one of the possible answers to this question:
Your favorite seat in th house would have to be:
c. Your black Le Corbusier leather chair. You've had it forever and you could never get sick of its sleek lines.

What's a Le Corbusier leather chair? I consider myself to be more of a design enthusiast than the average person out there, so if I wasn't getting these references who was the target audience of this book supposed to be?

I put my concerns aside though and started reading.  The book breaks down picture after picture of various home interiors and explains the styling behind each shot. I don't want to say there were no tips in it, but I guess, they just weren't the tips I was looking for. While it talked a lot about styling rooms for photos, it didn't really teach you how to style in general. I really think this is more a styling book for professional prop stylists, and not us lowly folks just trying to figure out how to make our dang bookshelves look cute already.

Oh, and as a daily reader of her blog for years now, I was surprised by how many of the photos I had already seen previously on the blog. I really thought it would be practically all new material, but there were quite a lot of repeats.

Like I said though, the book is beautiful and there is a lot of inspiration in all those pretty pictures; it just wasn't what I was expecting. Emily's voice rings true throughout though, and it's a great voice. While I probably won't actually read this book again, it's definitely one I'll keep on hand to flip through from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment