Pages

8.31.2016

A (Lack Of) Sleep Story

I should probably preface this post by saying I am not qualified to give medical advice in any way, shape, or form. This is just my own story of what has helped me get some much needed sleep.

Here we go...

Over the past few years I have been operating under the totally normal lack of sleep that all parents of small children experience. However, as the kids have gotten older and are (for the most part) sleeping through the night fine, I noticed I was having a really hard time falling asleep. It wasn't just one thing that was causing me to toss and turn for hours after going to bed, but a multitude of little things culminating in a serious sleep problem that was really starting to effect my every day life. I was always tired and my energy levels have just been so low for so long.

Normally, I head to bed around 9:30 and usually read for a half hour or so. Then, when the lights would go off, my brain would turn on. I would just lay there and think about everything and anything - work, daydreaming, redecorating my entire house in my head. That sort of stuff. I wasn't actually falling asleep until sometime between 11 and midnight.

But, that's not all. If I stayed awake long enough I would get bad cases of Restless Leg Syndrome in my arms and legs. Yes, that was a fun little byproduct of my pregnancy with Seamus that has never gone away. So, if that set in too, then I could pretty much just forget about sleep.

I wanted to find something out there that would help me fall asleep quicker, but I was hesitant to use a sleep drug. I only needed help falling asleep, as once I eventually do fall asleep I have no trouble staying asleep. The few times I have taken Advil PM or ZzzQuil, they work, but I always end up feeling super groggy most of the morning.

The first thing I started doing was wearing my mouth guard again at night. I'm a serious teeth clencher, especially at night. After experience some bad jaw pain a while back, I had one made for me, but had gotten out of the habit of wearing it nightly. Wearing that again helped a little bit, but it was still taking me much too long to fall asleep.

A conversation with a colleague about my problem brought up Melatonin supplements, and By George, I found a winner!
I've been taking these Melatonin gummies right before bed for the last month, and am falling asleep so quickly now! Sometimes even before Bill, and he seriously falls asleep within 10-15 minutes of laying down. It's insane.

Humans naturally produce melatonin near bedtime. It's our body's natural way of telling us it's time to go to sleep. These gummies give you a little extra dose of it, and for me, it has been working great. The best part is they don't make me groggy at all. I'm getting a lot more sleep and wake up actually feeling refreshed.

This mama is feeling more rested than I've felt in ages, which in turn is making me a happier and more productive member of society again.

Nothing like better living through chemistry, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment