Pages

8.24.2016

Book Report - The Light of the Fireflies

As part of my Amazon Prime membership, I get a free book for my Kindle each month. They pick 5 or 6 new titles, and I get my choice out of those picks. I only recently started taking advantage of this perk, and The Light of the Fireflies by Paul Pen was my first free read.
The boy has lived his entire life in the darkness of an underground basement along with his parents, sister, brother, and grandmother. They were all horribly disfigured in a fire before he was born; his sister so much so that she wears a white mask to cover her face always. It's the only life the boy has ever known, and he's happy in this little world; especially when the fireflies start coming to visit him at night. It's not until his sister has a baby, that he begins to wonder about things. Who is the father? What happened to his family before he was born? Why are they cut off from the outside world? Who is the Cricket Man? The more he discovers, the more he now wants to escape, but how to do it when all the doors are locked?

I wasn't expecting much from this book. I figured if it was being offered for free, then it probably wasn't that great. I'm glad I gave it a chance though, because I really enjoyed The Light of the Fireflies. The reader experiences the same eerie journey as the boy throughout; never knowing more about his family than he himself does. I was just dying to find out why they were in the basement, how they got burned, and who the father was; and I'm happy to say the novel provided satisfactory answers to all those questions, plus an interesting ending as well. If you're in the mood for an uber-creepy read, then definitely check out The Light of the Fireflies.    

No comments:

Post a Comment