Pages

9.19.2016

2016 Emmys Fashion - Fun Florals

Did you watch the Emmy's last night? I DVR'd it, and then condensed the 3 hour ceremony into about an hour of actual viewing. It's crazy how long awards shows are.

Anyway, are you ready to talk fashion?

There were quite a few different trends on the red carpet last night, but one that delightfully surprised me was floral gowns!

Let's take a look.

Sarah Hyland in Monique Lhuillier
Sarah Hyland got her Auntie Mame look on in this embroidered strapless top and pants number. I thought this was a good look for her. She's someone who always looks way younger than she actually is (25 years old), so this more mature style actually aged her up in a good way. The floral embroidery on the bodice is lovely, and I liked the creamy white and black combo. I would have preferred if the top didn't split in two though. It would have been a much more dramatic look with a full train behind her instead. That's my only quibble though, and overall thought this was a really fun look. Nice job, Sarah!

Constance Zimmer in Monique Lhullier
I was actually digging the juxtaposition of Constance's soft pink and white gown against those dark blunt bangs of hers. The embroidery is really intricate and pretty, and I loved the overall silhouette of the gown for her petite frame - especially those cute little sleeves. The pink lip makes her entire face light up, and I loved the chunky ring and hard faceted bright pink clutch. Well done, Constance!

Alia Shawkat
Alia Shawkat's light chiffon floral dress felt a little too casual and off-season for the event. The spaghetti straps make for a wonky fitting bodice, but the bottom-half looks pretty good. The strappy sandals and gold clutch were cute accents as well. I'm not too familiar with Alia; but I have a feeling she's a bit on the casual and quirky side, and that maybe dressing up is not really her thing. In other words, the look suits her well, but as for an overall Emmy look...not so much. 

Maisie Williams in Markus Lupfer
I thought Maisie Williams' tea-length black dress with bold floral embroidery was super cute! It's such a great silhouette for her. I would have gone with a different color shoe, like red, to bring just a little more pop of color; but if she had to go black, at least she picked interesting ones. What I was really loving though was her hair! Those long bangs work really well on her face. Good job, Maisie! 

Felicity Huffman in Tony Ward
Felicity Huffman's white on nude gown isn't quite as true a floral as most of the others featured here, but I felt it still had the feel of one. This silhouette works well for her and really showcases her amazing arms. I was disappointed in the color choice for the dress though - or more accurately the lack of color choice. How great would all that tulle have been in black against maybe purple or blue floral instead of white? Overall, not a bad look, but a bit too safe for my tastes.

Jane Krakowski in Bibhu Mohapatra
Although I loved the color of Jane Krakowski's dress, the overall effect fell a bit flat. I'm good from the waist up, but couldn't get over the bubble belt, high slit, clashing shoes, and cheap looking train. Her face and make-up looked great though. There were just too many aspects that were "off" to save the overall look. Next time, Jane.

Nina Garcia in Valentino
The embroidery on Nina Garcia's gown was just stunning! There's so much visual interest here that even if you're not a fan of the prairie-gown silhouette (which I'm not) you can't help but appreciate the beauty of the intricate detail work. Her long loose waves and simple make-up really complimented the look well. Very nice, Nina!


AND FINALLY...

Kristen Bell in Zuhair Murad
I just about died when I saw Kristen Bell in this gorgeous tropical floral gown. The colors and design are spectacular. I loved the full ballgown silhouette combined with the plunging neckline. It made for a really dramatic look. Her hair, make-up, and jewelry were all stunning and accented the look beautifully. This was, by far, one of the best looks of the entire night. Well done, Kristen!!

What did you think of all the floral? What was your favorite look among these? What was your favorite look of the night? Let's talk dresses!!

Photos of Alia Shawkat, Maisie Williams, Felicity Huffman, and Jane Krakowski from here.
Photos of Sarah Hyland, Constance Zimmer, Nina Garcia, and Kristen Bell from here

No comments:

Post a Comment