Pages

9.21.2016

2016 Emmys Fashion - Bold and Bright

Another big trend of the night were brightly colored dresses. Here we go!

Kate McKinnon
Kate McKinnon looked fabulous in this simple red column dress (couldn't find the designer). Normally I'd say this was a bit too casual for the event, but she totally sold it. The long and loose hair and bright red lips were all the accessories needed. Great job, Kate! (So glad she won too!)

Tatiana Maslany in Alexander Wang
Tatiana Maslany also sported a simple red column dress, but the cut-outs provided a bit more visual interest. Normally I'm not a fan of cut-outs, but I'm intrigued by these. Whatever is holding this dress together is perfectly invisible and creating a really fun illusion. The drop earrings and simple pulled back hair compliment the look well. Nice job, Tatiana! (Another one I was happy to see win!)

Priyanka Chopra in Jason Wu
Priyanka Chopra is so beautiful she really never looks bad in anything, and this time was no exception. The color looks gorgeous with her skin tone, and I loved the flowy silhouette. The bodice is a bit tricky design-wise, but that's my only critique. Perfect head styling as well. Lovely job, Priyanka.

Regina King in Elizabeth Kennedy
The silhouette of Regina King's gown was a great choice for her. The sweetheart neckline really showcases her beautiful shoulders and arms. You can't tell from this picture, but the train had an adorable bustle in the back that created a really dramatic silhouette too. Personally, I'm not in love with the orangey-red color, but it works for her. I would also have liked to see a touch more drama in the make-up. Overall though, good job, Regina.

Mandy Moore in Prabal Gurung
The statuesque Mandy Moore wore this orangey-yellow ruffle and tiered dress, and I think I like it! The color, which is a hard one to pull of, goes well with her coloring. I would have liked to see the lining go all the way down to the hem, and not too sure about the choice of the black clutch. Also, should she maybe have worn her hair up instead? I do love the current color of her hair though, and the make-up was working for me too. Good job, Mandy.

Taraji P. Henson in Vera Wang
Hmm...it took me a while to figure out what was off with Taraji P. Henson's dress, but I finally decided it was the spaghetti straps. I would have liked this look a lot better if it was strapless. As is, the straps are bringing the dress to the forefront and her face fades into the background (i.e. the dress is wearing her and not the other way around). The color works for her though, and I liked the shoes, jewelry, and accessories; but the casual hair and natural make-up didn't do anything for the overall look. I'm afraid this one was a miss for me. (Funnily enough, she changed her entire outfit to present later in the ceremony. That look was far better than this one - see here).

Angela Basset in Christian Siriano
Angela Basset opted for this dramatic yellow drapey number. This one looked really lovely on television, but it was hard to find a decent picture of it to showcase here. Sometimes dresses just look better live than photographed. I appreciated the boldness here - both in color and silhouette. She's definitely got enough diva in her to pull off this dramatic look. Nicely done, Angela!

Tina Fey in Oscar de la Renta
This is a good color for Tina Fey, and the simple silhouette works for her as well. The earrings and ring are too matchy-matchy though. She would have done better with some fun gold accents. The hair and face are good enough, but overall, this look was just okay in my book.

Shiri Appleby in Diane von Furstenberg
Shiri Appleby's bright blue column dress made me initially take notice, but upon closer inspection I'm not so sure it was a winner. The color and fabric are fabulous, and I loved the liquidity of the look. It's a skosh too long though, and the neckline far too wide. Also, the horizontal bands are somewhat ruining the waterfall effect. Still, it is striking and her hair, make-up, and jewelry all look pretty great as well. You get a pass, Shiri.

Melora Hardin
Melora Hardin looked spectacular in this bright blue column gown. It's a perfect fit, and I loved the little black accents on the sleeves. The clutch and cocktail ring complimented the look. I think I would have liked to see her hair down instead, but that's about all I'd change. Great job, Melora!

AND FINALLY...

Viola Davis in Marchesa
Viola Davis looked stunning in this fuchsia gown. What a great color for her! The shape really works for her, and the lacework on the neckline brings just the right amount of visual interest. Her hair, make-up, jewelry, and accessories all compliment the look well. Beautiful job, Viola!

What's your favorite from this group? I'll have one more post tomorrow featuring my favorite look of the night.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment