Pages

9.23.2016

Let's Go To The Movies - Bridget Jones's Baby

A couple of girlfriends and I went to see Bridget Jones's Baby last weekend.

Bridget Jones is back! It's her 43rd birthday; and while her career is actually on-track, her personal life is as big a mess as ever. After having steamy one-night stands (just a week apart) with first a handsome American named Jack (Patrick Dempsey) and then her ex, Mark Darcy (Colin Firth); Bridget comes to learn she's pregnant. She now has 9 months to figure out who the father is, but maybe more important she needs to decide which one she actually wants to spend the rest of her life with.

She may have traded in her diary for an iPad, but this is the same old Bridget Jones all us romantic comedy fans have adored since the original Bridget Jones's Diary came out in 2001. It was so nice to see Renee Zellweger onscreen again along with the entire Bridget Jones family - minus Hugh Grant, which was fine with me, as Patrick Dempsey easily stepped into the shoes of possible love interest just fine.

Also, can we just take a second to note how well Patrick Dempsey is aging? Seriously, he just gets better and better looking.

But, I digress.

In a lot of ways, Bridget Jones's Baby was a lot of fun. I laughed and enjoyed myself. There was a lot of unrealistic stuff going on, but I was willing to suspend reality in exchange for the most satisfying of happy endings.

So, without giving away the ending, let's talk about it, as that's where it all fell flat for me. We all know Bridget is supposed to end up with Mark Darcy, right? I'm not saying she does or doesn't, but we can all agree that that is Bridget Jones's happy ending. So, for me at least, there were only two outcomes that would have pleased me. The first, the baby is Jack's, but she still ends up with Darcy, and the second, the baby is Darcy's and she ends up with Darcy.

When the ending finally came upon us, I was totally thrilled. It made perfect sense, and then all of a sudden...just like that...it didn't. There was a sort of last minute, not twist exactly, but clarification, if you will, that had my friends and I all like, "Wait, what...oh, okay, I guess". It wasn't bad exactly, it just didn't make sense anymore.  It went from a totally happy and satisfying ending to an "only in the movies" ending that sort of soured the overall film for me. I didn't hate Bridget Jones's Baby, but I did leave slightly disappointed, which is a real shame because they had me until that last moment.

What this film really did for me was make me miss the original. They showed little clips throughout and I can't believe how young they all were! I think I'm going to sit down soon and re-watch Bridget Jones's Diary (currently on Netflix) and just pretend films two and three never happen. The more I think about, they really weren't needed, and you know why? Because Bridget Jones's Diary, to quote Mark Darcy, "I like you very much - just as you are."

No comments:

Post a Comment