Pages

10.12.2016

Coming Soon - The Accountant

Monday night, I saw a sneak peak of Ben Affleck's new movie, The Accountant.

Christian Wolff (Ben Affleck), is a socially awkward math genius who cooks the books of the world's most dangerous criminals. When a high-level Director at the Treasury Department, Ray King (J.K. Simmons) gets a little too close, Christian decides to take a legitimate job investigating an accounting irregularity at a state-of-the-art robotics company that was discovered by a young clerk, Dana Cummings (Anna Kendrick). As Christian gets closer to the truth, he and Dana find themselves in deeper and deeper trouble.

It took me a little while to process my feelings for The Accountant, but now that I have, I feel pretty confident that I liked it. It was an unexpectedly decent action flick. It wasn't without flaw though. First, I'm not hundred percent sure Ben Affleck was the right choice for the title role. I went back and forth the entire film between liking his performance one minute and finding him all wrong the next. However, his character was also incredibly awkward, so while I would say his performance was a little spotty, it didn't detract terribly from the film as a whole. I was surprised by both J.K. Simmons and Anna Kendrick's roles, or more accurately non-roles in the film. Such bit parts seemed a waste of both their talents. However, it made the movie better having their familiar faces on screen, and Anna Kendrick was especially delightful. The scenes between her and Ben Affleck were pretty funny.

And speaking of funny, this film was oddly lighthearted and pretty funny too. It was by no means a comedy; being it was actually quite intense and violent at times, but still...it was funny. The juxtaposition worked oddly well. Actually, odd and awkward keep popping into my head whenever I think of how to describe this film. Odd and awkward, yet pretty good.

Even though all my instincts throughout kept telling me I should not be liking this movie, ultimately...I did, and I think you might too. Especially, if you're looking for movie that appeals to both men and women. Again, this is strangely a good choice as a date movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment