Pages

10.26.2016

Coming Soon - Inferno

Tuesday night, I got to see a sneak peak of the new Tom Hanks movie, Inferno coming to theaters this Friday.

Robert Langdon (Tom Hanks), brilliant Professor of religious iconology and symbology, is back. With the help of medical doctor, Sienna Brooks (Felicity Jones), the two must follow a trail of clues to reach a hidden deadly virus that threatens to annihilate half the world's population if they don't stop it's scheduled release in time.

I was actually really looking forward to seeing Inferno. I'm a fan of Dan Brown's books (although I had not read this one yet) and enjoyed the first two movies (The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons). So, I was surprised, when within the first 10 minutes of the movie I was already cringing. There's a lot of really disturbing images that continue to pop-up throughout the film as Professor Langdon suffers through injury induced hallucinations. You'll suffer along with him, as they are quite unpleasant to watch. The movie took off instantly at an extremely fast pace, which normally is a compliment for a film; but instead of instilling excitement in the viewer, it felt hectic, frantic, and chaotic. I kept waiting for it to slow down a second to develop the story, but it never did. And that brings me to my ultimate issue with Inferno. The best part of a Robert Langdon movie are the puzzles, and watching him figure them out is when he (the character, not Tom Hanks) is at his best. There was very little of that here, as he spent most of the time fleeing enemies unknown to him. I wanted this movie to be smart and clever, instead it was predictable and relied too heavily on the thrill of the chase.

No comments:

Post a Comment