Pages

12.29.2016

2016 In Review - The Kitchen Refresh

Our big house project of the year was The Great Kitchen Refresh of 2016. Not a complete renovation; we spruced up the existing kitchen by paining the cabinets and switching the backsplash.  I wish I could say we 100% completed the kitchen in 2016, but there's still a handful of items I have yet to mark off the to-do list before declaring it done. It's definitely come a long way from where it started on move-in day though.
It was functional, but basic. I knew we could improve it with a little paint and a lot of elbow grease.

First, I found my inspiration - light grey cabinets with gold hardware:  I'm Dreaming Of A Grey Kitchen.
Work began by demoing the current backsplash: Bye-Bye Backsplash.
Then, we prepped for paint by sanding all the cabinet doors and bases: Prepping For Paint - Part 1.
And we primed everything too: Prepping For Paint - Part 2.
Before we could paint though, we had to pick a paint color: Three Shades of Grey.
And finally, the cabinets were painted and put back together: Yay For Grey!
Next, I scoured the internet for the perfect gold hardware: Can You Handle It?
We repaired the wall in preparation for the new backsplash: Prepping For New Backsplash.
And started tiling, something we'd never done before: It Has Begun.
We added trim to the kitchen window: It's All In The Details.
Finished the tilework: Tile It Up.
And grouted: Scream and Grout
In the meantime, I scored an amazing deal on a new table: The Story of a Table.
 
Then, I tried and failed to pick a paint color for the walls: Picking A Paint Color.
But we did eventually make a decision, and painted the walls: Paint Procrastination.
Finally, I had a change of heart on the chairs I had originally picked out, so switched to another set: Switch-Chair-Roo.
All-in-all, I've been so happy with how the whole thing turned out. Like I said, there's a few things still left to do, which you know I'll share. We also have a big renovation plan for 2017. I can't wait to get started on that one. Care to guess what we'll be doing? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment