Pages

12.07.2016

2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Review

The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show was held earlier this week. I knew it was coming, but was so busy that I completely forgot to watch it or set my DVR to record it either. Thankfully the Internet came to my rescue and I was able to watch the entire thing online. 

So, let's take a look at all the looks from the entire show, shall we!?!

The first segment of the show (held in Paris this year) was called The Road Ahead - which appeared to draw its inspiration from China at the beginning, but then Mexico towards the end. A fun mash-up of U2's Vertigo, Stevie Wonder's Uptight, and Ke$ha's Animal played in the background as Elsa Hosk opened up the show.

I thought the dragon was amazing, and I loved the boots!! I was also digging the color combination of red, aqua, and yellow. Great look to start the show.
Elsa Hosk | Sweden
Taylor Hill was up next in this beautiful Kimono style robe. It moved well on the runway, and again, the colors were all so gorgeous. Loved the mint green suede boots capped with red chinoiserie fabric. The butterfly crown and long beaded/tasseled earrings and necklace brought so much added visual interest and movement to this look (and really all the looks in this segment). Loved it.
Taylor Hill | USA
Maria Borges pheasant feathered accents were really lovely, and the gold platform shoes fun too. I wasn't loving the horizontal striping of her ensemble, although it did sparkle nicely live. The look didn't feel quite on theme either, so ultimately this one was just okay for me.
Maria Borges | Angola
Again, the Chinoiserie fabric combined with the teal lingerie was a great combination for Lais Riberiro's look, but I wasn't feeling the robe on this one. Great boots though.
Lais Ribeiro | Brazil
The purple, yellow, aqua color combination of Adriana Lima's fun look worked great on her. The wings were a little underwhelming, but the boots so amazing that it all came together. Nice look.
Adriana Lima
Liu Wen's colorful robe moved well on the runway, but I thought the light aqua of the lingerie didn't suit her skin tone well, and the headdress and patent leather platforms did nothing to enhance the look either. Overall, this one felt way too busy to me. I was really glad to see Liu Wen back in the show though.
Liu Wen | China
Kendell Jenner got her wings, and a beautiful pair at that. This was a great look, and I'm genuinely pro-Kendell, but the Victoria's Secret fashion show is really light-hearted, fun, and all about personality (see Adriana Lima). She showed little of that here, and I'm not quite sure she's truly VS material (which doesn't mean she's a bad model, just not right for VS). Although with over 70 million Instagram followers I can't really blame VS for wanting to bring her into the fold.
Kendall Jenner | USA
Ming Xi seems like such a kook, and I love it. Her look came together well enough, but did seem a little on the plain side; well, as plain as feathers, thigh-high boots, and a bolero jacket can be. Was it wrong of me to think they should have given the few Asian models the most dramatic of looks for this theme? She seems super fun though, and definitely worked her outfit. Nice job.
Ming Xi | China
Devon Windsor, a favorite of mine, rocked her Chinese firework. Loved the sparkle overlay on her shoes and legs as well as the overall jewel toned colors used here. Beautiful look! 
Devon Windsor | USA
I started to get confused by Cindy Bruna's look as it read more Hispanic than Chinese to me. I couldn't find a clear definition of their themes this year though, so I wasn't sure the intent. The glittered bones on her arms felt more Dia De Los Muertos though, no? The pom-pons and fringe boots were colorful and fun. Cute look overall.
Cindy Bruna | France
I loved the drama of Joan Smalls red coat - beautiful fabric. The embellished boots really elevated the look. Fantastic look.
Joan Smalls | Puerto Rico
I liked Jasmine Tookes little ensemble here. These are what I call "filler" looks. It's cute, but ultimately just meant to break things up a little bit between two more dramatic looks. The jacket was adorable, and I really liked the bra and panty set here too. Good job.
Jasmine Tookes | USA
I loved Gigi Hadid's look here. The colors were a cool mix, and I loved the embellishments on the coat and boots. Add the feminine and flowy cape to the mix, and it was one of my favorites of the night. They've definitely transitioned the segment to a more Spanish/Mexican feel, am I right?
Gigi Hadid | USA
I loved Daniela Bragid's matador look. It's not often you see pants outside of the Pink portion of the show, so it was a fun little surprise. The jacket is gorgeous, the embroidered pants and brown suede boots cute, and the pop of pink from the bra capped off the look perfectly. Loved this one.
Daniela Braga | Brazil
There is such a thing as power clashing, but Martha Hunt's look was not an example of it done well. The lingerie was cute, but it didn't go with the chevron black and white boots, which then didn't go with the blue floral cape. There was such a kaleidoscope of color going on in the show though that it didn't come off nearly as bad live as in these photos. Overall though, not my favorite look.
Martha Hunt | USA
The skirt on Barbara Fialho's skirt was so gorgeous and looked great on the runway - so much movement and sparkle. Very pretty look.
Barbara Fialho | Brazil
Veteran Angel, Alessandra Ambrosio closed the segment with yellow wings and a teal body suit. It's a pretty simple look to close out a section, but I was so happy to see Alessandra again that I didn't much care. She looked amazing as always.
Alessandra Ambrosio | Brazil
The next segment opened with Lady Gaga performing her new song, Million Reasons, and was called Mountain Romance which I interpreted as sexy Heidi. It had a very Nordic influence; and was one of my favorite themes of the night.

Josephine Skriver started the segment. I loved the embroidered puffed sleeves and the deep green bra and panty set. I wasn't a fan of the boots, but thought it was cute they kinda of resembled the Danish flag and Josephine Skriver is from Denmark. 
Josephine Skriver | Denmark
Sanne Vloet's look was just stunning. I loved it all from the sheer puffed overlay, embroidered shorts, and sky blue boots. Gorgeous!
Sanne Vloet | Netherlands
Lily Aldridge's look was a little on the plain side (another filler), but I loved her wings (pheasant feathers again) and those bright red boots. Also, the necklace and bracelet she wore were gorgeous and sparkled like mad on the runway.
Lily Aldridge | USA
Newcomer, Megan Williams's purple leiderhosen, sheer puffed sleeves, and raisin colored booties made for an adorable look. Super cute.
Megan Williams | UK
I loved the forest green velvet embroidered jumper Sui He donned, and her milky white skin blended perfectly with the contrasting white. Gorgeous boots, beautiful blouse, and delicate wings complimented the look well. One of my favorites of the night.
Sui He | China
Another beautiful set of pheasant wings for Leomie Anderson. I liked the boots and the little bustier, but wasn't a fan of the tied skirt. It reminded me of a backwards apron. I thought this one was just okay.
Leomie Anderson | UK
Such beautiful colors and flowers for Kelly Gale's look. So pretty and feminine.
Kelly Gale | Sweden
Lily Donaldson's thistle wings really sparkled on the runway, but other than that I thought this one was less than stellar. Cute booties though.
Lily Donaldson | UK
Izabel Goulart's wings were the most dramatic thus far. I'm loved all the use of pheasant feathers throughout the show a lot. The forest green color of the lingerie was really pretty too. I thought the necklace and neck cuff were a bit much, and of course, those boots again, but still, overall, I liked how this look all came together.
Izabel Goulart | Brazil
 Another cute leiderhosen look, this time in mini-skirt form. Nice colors too with the pop of pale yellow. Very cute.
Stella Maxwell | Ireland
Sara Sompaio's look came off a little hodge-podge to me. The wings and aqua blue didn't quite go with the colors on the bustier and skirt. I was digging those cobalt blue booties though, but overall, just an okay look.
Sara Sampaio | Portugal
Newcomer, Keke Lindgard's ensemble was surprisingly lacking in color and seemed so bland compared to the rest of the group. I wasn't a fan of this one either.
Keke Lindgard | USA
Flavia Lucini's flowy look was pretty, soft, and had great movement on the runway. The sleeves bugged a bit, but overall, not bad.
Flavia Lucini | Brazil
Romee Strijd closed out the segment. Beautiful wings, beautiful boots, beautiful everything. Loved it.
Romee Strijd | Netherlands
Pink Nation was the next segment and it was set against Bruno Mars singing Chunky, which seemed a bit ironic, no? The Pink segment is always hit and miss, and I think this one was a miss. The segment was almost entirely new models to the show this year, the only colors used were pink, black, silver, and white, and nothing was really styled all that well.

Newcomer, Grace Elizabeth opened the segment with some pretty great wings. Unfortunately, I didn't think the feminine bows on them went well with the underwear which was very sporty and boxer like. The PINK down the socks was distracting too, and I thought the shoes (which every model wore) were hideous. I'm also not a fan of the mauvey pink used throughout. Not a great way to open up the segment.
Grace Elizabeth | USA
Poor newcomer, Herieth Paul, had to try and make sheer pink chaps look good. Stop trying so hard girl, it can't be done.
Herieth Paul | Tanzania
Okay, Bridget Malcolm's look is not too bad. It's cute and sporty, but why two jackets? I would have lost the one around her waist, and again, those shoes are horrible. Not a bad look for this segment though.
Bridget Malcolm | Australia
I liked the shorts on newcomer, Xiao-Wen Ju's outfit, but that was about it.
Xiao-Wen Ju | China
Rachel Hilbert's sheer parka wasn't too bad and the underwear is generally cute as well, but I just can't with this sock and shoe combo.
Rachel Hilbert | USA
I actually thought the sheer boxers on newcomer Alanna Arrington's look worked well with the sporty underwear, and the look actually worked the best so far with the wacky socks and shoes combo. However, the fuzzy puffed sleeves of the jacket threw off the entire look. Nope on this one too.
Alanna Arrington | USA
Lais Oliveira, another newcomer, had one of the better looks of the segment. It seems the simpler the looks were the more I liked them.
Lais Oliveira | Brazil
Another fun set of "wings" for another newcomer, Maggie Laine, but why did they stray from the color theme? This look would have worked really well if the lingerie wasn't periwinkle.
Maggie Laine | USA
Newcomer, Camille Rowe, got a cute hoodie and lingerie, but it clashes with the socks/shoes and I didn't like the streamers hanging off it either.
Camille Rowe | France
 Newcomer, Brooke Perry's look was too much like the one before, and again, hated the streamers.
Brooke Perry | USA
Zuri Tibby, yes, another newcomer, had another of the more decent looks from this segment. The colors worked well for her, and I liked the half sweatshirt. Crazy hat-bow though.
Zuri Tibby | USA
The appeared to just be phoning it in for newcomer, Lameka Fox's look. No fun at all.
Lameka Fox | USA
Newcomer, Luma Grothe's was another one that was actually pretty cute (despite those shoes). Not bad, considering.
Luma Grothe | Brazil
Finally, newcomer Dilone's look wasn't horrible either. The shoes worked much better without the socks. I liked the sports bra and pant combination, and the furry short jacket and all the puppies was cute and fun.
Dilone | USA 
Ultimately though, I was glad to move on to the next segment, which was...

Secret Angel, and it had a whole secret agent, sexy spy thing going on. The Weeknd took the stage and performed his song, Starboy

Adriana Lima opened the segment with her second look of the night. Lots of pleather and lace here (on most of the looks), and I should probably have hated the street walker boots, but I actually think they're kind of fun here. Very pretty wings and the colors worked well on her too. Nice look.
Adriana Lima | Brazil
Valerie Kaufman's mini rubber trenchcoat was right on theme - totally playful and fun. Another cute, sorry, I mean sexy look.
Valerie Kaufman | Russia
Newcomer, Bella Hadid's (aka Gigi's sister's) look seemed a little too soft and romantic for the theme. Bella was seriously lacking in personality on the runway too - so serious and stiff. Still, I liked the color and those shoes are pretty fierce.
Bella Hadid | USA

Jourdana Phillips rocked her runway walk. It's not in the photo below, but she showed off a most gorgeous smile when she posed at the end. Cute jacket, sexy lingerie, and another pair of fierce shoes. Loved her, loved the look.
Jourdana Phillips | USA
Cindy Bruna got a lovely pair of wings for her second look of the show. The long sleeves done in black lace and stilettos complimented the look well. Beautiful.
Cindy Bruna | France
Ming Xi's second look of the night fell way short for me. The lace pants are terrible, and they look even more ridiculous over the thigh-high boots. Total miss for me here.
Ming Xi | China
Sanne Vloet's second look was about as classic sexy spy as you can get. The green lingerie peaking through seemed an off color choice, but the trench coat more than makes up for it. Great look.
Sanne Vloet | Netherlands
Elsa Hosk's next look was a little busy, what with the wings, corset, garter belt, and thigh-high stockings and boots. The whole thing needed to be pared down a little - just okay for me.
Elsa Hosk | Sweden
The gorgeous newcomer, Irina Shayk, looked amazing in this satin trench duster. The coat had so much movement on the runway, and she rocked her walk. Well done.
Irina Shayk | Russia
I didn't love the coat on Leomie Anderson's second look. (Although I think it's actually two pieces - sleeves and corset.) The color suited her well though, but overall, this one was just okay for me.
Leomie Anderson | UK
On the other hand, I loved Liu Wen's second look of the night. There's not a whole lot going on here, but the intricate straps on the lingerie and the pops of black from the shoulder harness and stockings play well together. Plus, the whole thing worked well with her coloring. Great look!
Liu Wen | China
Newcomer, Georgia Fowler's look both was sexy and sweet - what a cutie! The lacework and color are really pretty, and the pop of purple from the shoes brings a little contrast and edge. I liked this one a lot too.
Georgia Fowler | New Zealand
Finally, Sara Sampaio closed out the segment with her second look of the night. I loved her wings. They reminded me of water colors, and the moody blue color was gorgeous. Simple lingerie, but the wings brought the drama. Loved it.
Sara Sampaio | Portugal
The next segment, Dark Angel, started out with a fantastic performance by Lady Gaga singing and dancing to a medley of her two new songs, A-Yo and John Wayne.

First up, was Taylor Hill in her second look of the night. This was a really great look - big wings, high collar with sheer sleeves, and the matte black boots all brought the drama. Gorgeous way to start things off. 
Taylor Hill | USA
Gigi Hadid's second look was a winner for me too. There's a lot of strip-strapping going on here, but instead of coming off as needlessly busy it really accented her figure well. Loved the wings too. Great look.
Gigi Hadid | USA
Sui He's second look of the night was your basic filler look. Nothing too special going on here.
Sui He | China
I wish they had stuck with the all black theme for Kendall Jenner's second look. I liked the high collar and sleeves, but it just seemed too stark a contrast. Loved the little wings on her booties though.
Kendall Jenner | USA
Not a whole lot going on for Devon Windsor's second look of the night either - another basic filler look.
Devon Windsor | USA
The corset on Lais Ribeiro's second look worked for me. The feathers and belting were a nice twist and kept the look from being too basic. I liked the leaf wings and booties too. Nice job.
Lais Ribeiro | Brazil
Again, it bugged me that they used green for Maggie Laine's second look and not black. Loved the lacy cape though.
Maggie Laine | USA
Man, Martha Hunt is gorgeous, no? Loved her second look. The corset, the striped laced sleeves, criss-cross stilettos, and liquid oil wings all came together for a spectacular look. Outstanding.
Martha Hunt | USA
Alessandro Ambrosio's second look of the night was mostly working for me. I liked the bustier and the wings, but the boots attached to the garter belt seemed odd. She worked it though, so overall, not bad.
Alessandra Ambrosio | Brazil
I was surprised how much I liked Barbara Fialho's second look. The lingerie is really cute, and the criss-cross thigh-high boots worked well with it. The wings added the perfect little accent too. Super cute look.
Barbara Fialho | Brazil
Izabel Goulart's second look of the night was pretty basic. A cooler more dramatic pair of wings would have upped the drama here, but as is, this one was just okay for me.
Izabel Goulart | Brazil
Joan Smalls's second look of the night was a great way to close the segment. The body suit was cute, but OMG, those wings! This picture does not do them justice. They were the longest ever created in VS history and looked like they trailed at least 6 feet behind her. Very cool look!
Joan Smalls | Puerto Rico
The final segment of the show, Bright Night Angel, brought the sparkle! Bruno Mars sang his new song 24K Magic and each look seemed to be more sparkly than the next. Loved it.

Opening the segment was Stella Maxwell. Her second look of the night was a super sparkly bodysuit in deep greens and blues. I love these bodysuit looks and wish they would do more of them. They don't really highlight any of the lingerie though, so I get why they use them sparingly. Super cute look though.
Stella Maxwell | Ireland
Next up, Georgia Fowler's second look was a bejeweled corset in grey tones. Even for a relatively simple look, the crazy amount of crystals boosts this and each of the looks in this segment. Very chic.
Georgia Fowler | New Zealand
For Jasmine Tookes had the honor of wearing this year's Fantasy Bra for her second look. Decked out in three million dollars worth of diamonds and emeralds, I thought it was really pretty. The emerald tones looked great on Jasmine too.
Jasmine Tookes | USA
I was really surprised Bella Hadid got a second look, and again, she didn't impress me. This is the runway to be really flirty, you know, arms up in the air, blowing kisses, and lots of winking at the camera. She showed zero emotion on her face (again, not bad for modeling in general, but not good for the VSFS). It's a cool look though - loved the glitter rash guard look and black feathers, but I'm maybe sensing a bit of nepotism on her inclusion in this show.
Bella Hadid | USA
Maria Borges second look of the show was a straight up filler look. She looks cute though, but the leopard print booties seemed off with the theme. A bigger set of wings would have drastically helped this look.
Maria Borges | Angola
Lily Donaldson looked like a sparkly flamingo for her final look of the show. So pretty and feminine - loved it!
Lily Donaldson | UK
Irina Shayk's second number looked so much cooler live than in this picture. It came off as fire engine red on TV, and is looking way more dull here. It had such great movement though, and I can't get over how gorgeous this woman is. Oh, and I found out she's supposedly pregnant here to boot, so if that's true I think I love her even more.
Irina Shayk | Russia
Romee Stajd's last look of the night was the only all white number of the show. These always feel the most angel-like, and they usually include more. Being the only one made it really stand out though. The crystal work looks amazing - loved the icicle like wings and all those chains. Beautiful look.
Romee Stajd | Netherlands
Josephine Skriver's second look of the night was my favorite of the entire show. It was decked out in over 450,000 Swarovski crystals, with 3,000 individual strands of crystal fringe hanging from the sleeves. It looked amazing on the runway. It was absolutely stunning, and I was truly surprised it wasn't picked to close the show.
Josephine Skriver | Denmark
Kelly Gale's last look was feminine and fun. Loved the sparkle and feathers, and the gold shoes really popped.
Kelly Gale | Sweden
I wasn't a fan of Jourdana Phillips final look. It's cute and all, but isn't showcasing any lingerie. Plus, the crossbody bag seemed a bit out of place for this segment. I didn't think it was needed. Cute shoes though, and again, her smile is gorgeous.
Jourdana Phillips | USA
Lily Aldridge closed the show with this, her final look. It's pretty enough, but it doesn't really say grand finale, you know? I liked the overall look though, and am always happy to see Lily Aldridge on the runway.
Lily Aldridge | USA
So, that's it freinds - all 82 looks from the 2016 Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. Did you watch the show? What did you think of the performances? What was your favorite segment? What was your favorite look? Who is your favorite model? How do you feel about the models that rose up through social media versus the more traditional route? Wow, I have a lot of questions for you. Let's talk fashion!!

All photos from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment