Pages

1.11.2017

2017 Golden Globes Fashion - All About the Neck

The V-Neck was by far the most popular neckline of the night. I've showcased quite a few already, but here's some more noteworthy ones alone with a couple one-shouldered that caught my eye as well.

Jessica Chastain
I was having a bit of a love/hate reaction to nominee, Jessica Chastain's blue Prada gown. The V-neck was much too broad, but I liked the overall color and silhouette. The beadwork looks amazing, but I almost wish it covered the entire gown instead of just the one side. The jewelry and make-up all worked for me, but I wish she would have worn her hair loose around her shoulders. I feel like I should call this one a miss, but it keeps drawing me back to it, so...good job??

Gina Rodriguez 
I liked the flapper fringe on nominee, Gina Rodriguez's white Naeem Kahn dress. It brought a lot of sparkle and movement. The fit is a little wonky on the halter though, and it seems to be smooshing and squaring all her curves. Her hair and make-up were both pretty, but ultimately, this one was just okay for me.

Blake Lively
Blake Lively wore this black velvet Atelier Versace number with gold accents. The silhouette of the dress suits her, but the gold trim seemed like too much. It would have worked better without the pockets. I would have also preferred her hair long and loose instead of this severe style. Although I don't think it quite hit the mark, it was a memorable look.

Felicity Huffman
Nominee, Felicity Huffman wore this Georges Chakra jumpsuit. It fits her nice and shows off her fabulous arms, but for a nominee, it seemed a little on the casual side.

Gal Gadot 
Presenter, Gal Gadot, wore this slinky Muglier number. It's not my favorite look of the night. I'd have worn the hair down and nixed the necklace; but she's pregnant and looks fantastic and happy, so you know, good for her.

Laura Dern
Laura Dern wore this pink embroidered Burberry gown. It fits her well and her hair and make-up look great, but I'm afraid the fabric reminded me too much of upholstery. The only way this floral would have worked for me was if the lining was black and the flowers bright and multi-colored instead. Not so much a miss for me, as just a bit of a yawn. 

Busy Philipps
The adorable Busy Philipps looked adorable in this black Stella McCartney dress. It fits her great and the embroidery and train bring the visual interest. A slightly sleeker hairdo would have brought that final bit of polish, but overall, this gets the job done.

Anna Kendrick
Anna Kendrick wore this grey Vionnet number, and I almost loved it. The color is gorgeous, it has great movement, and I loved her hair and make-up. I couldn't get over the competing necklines though. It would have worked as a one-shouldered gown. It would have worked as a strapless gown. But, combing the two is too disrupting visually. This one was just okay for me.

Viola Davis 
Viola Davis looked stunning in this canary yellow sequined Michael Kors dress. It's a lot of color, and I questioned the shade of yellow, but ultimately I think she pulls it off. It makes her gorgeous skin pop. The fit is flawless. The sequins add visual interest. Her hair and make-up compliment the look well. My only quibble, and it's so small really, is that I would have chosen a black or gold clutch instead of the white. That's it though. Great job, Viola!

AND FINALLY...

Jessica Biel
Jessica Biel's belted Elie Saab gown made quite a statement. The pattern and the applique on the skirt is gorgeous. The deep...um, U-cut, I guess, of the bust combined with the high slit of the skirt brought the sexy. The belt worked, the shoes worked, and the hair, make-up, and jewelry all complimented the look well. It felt fresh and modern, and I loved it. Beautiful job, Jessica!

All photos from here, except for Laura Dern and Busy Philipps which were from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment