Pages

1.20.2017

Book Report - Dark Matter and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

I had hoped to have a post today about a little house project we recently finished up, but I wasn't able to take proper photos of it yet. Something for you to look forward to next week then.

Instead, let's talk books. I recently read Dark Matter by Blake Crouch and Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two by Jack Thorne.

First up, Dark Matter by Blake Crouch.
Jason Dessen is living the most ordinary of lives. He's married, has a teenage son, and teaches physics at a small college. He's content, but like most people do, occasionally wonders what his life would be like if things had gone a different way. That is until he is kidnapped, drugged, and wakes to find himself in an alternate world - one where he didn't marry his wife, his son doesn't exist, and he is a world renowned physicist who actualized something amazing he had only theorized before. Desperate to get back to his family, Jason begins a dangerous quest of unknown consequences all the while being chased by an unforeseeable force hellbent on making sure he never makes it home again.

Dude, this book was trippy! I need to read it again sometime because I'd love to try and wrap my head around the concept a little bit more now that I know how it all unfolds. It's actually quite hard to talk about without giving away crucial plot points, so I'll just say I enjoyed it a lot. The story is captivating, and the writing top-notch. It's a complete thrill ride that you won't be able to put down. If you're looking for something different and highly entertaining, give Dark Matter a go.

Next up, the play, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: Parts One and Two written by Jack Thorne, but based on a story J.K. Rowling came up with him and John Tiffany. 
It's not easy being the son of Harry Potter, the most famous wizard of the wizarding world. Albus Severus Potter, seems to have little in common with his famed father, and the two continually have trouble forming a connection. When Albus gets sorted into Slytherin and befriends Scorpius Malfoy, son of Draco, their relationship becomes even more strained. Then, one day, Albus overhears his father refuse Amos Diggory's pleads for Harry to use a Time-Turner, go back in time to the Tri-Wizard Tournament, and save his son Cedric from dying at the hands of Lord Voldemort. Albus decides to take matters into his own hands and save Cedric when his father won't. But, changing the past is serious magic indeed, and Albus soon finds himself in way over his head. Now separated by time, Albus finds he needs his father's help more than ever as he attempts to right the now drastically changed past and put things back as they are supposed to be.

I was actually quite excited to revisit the world of Harry Potter with Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, so i dove right into this play. I knew it wasn't written by J.K. Rowling, but it seemed to be blessed by her, so I was on board. However, it didn't take me long to realize that I definitely wasn't reading J.K. Rowling. At first, I thought it was just because it was in play format, which takes a little adjusting to on its own; but it turns out that wasn't it at all. The more I read, the more I realized the story truly lacks her voice and feels inauthentic. Without her words to breath life into these characters, the entire thing started to read like bad fan-fiction. Instead of the satisfying "where are they now" story I was expecting, I ended my reading experience disappointed and longing for the original. For Harry Potter purists (which apparently includes me), this is not the sequel you've been waiting for. If you're missing Harry Potter and all your Hogwarts friends, you're better off just re-reading the original series then wasting time on what is just essentially someone else's interpretation of J.K. Rowling's work.

What are you reading these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment