Pages

1.27.2017

Books - The Spice Of Life

Are you ready to add some instant art to your child's room for under $20! Good, cause I'm about to show you how.

First, let's take a walk down memory lane here in Seamus's room. When we moved in, it looked like this. Bright blue walls, sponge paint, airplanes, and a wonky rail around the room.
After we painted (Benjamin Moore Cement Gray for the walls and Pure White for the doors and trim), it was vastly improved, but still pretty bare. I wanted something for the little wall space to the right of the closet that was fun and colorful, but still had some sort of function.
Enter IKEA and their $4 spice racks (these here). There's a million uses for these handy-dandy little shelves (just google IKEA spice racks and see), but I wanted to particularly use them to display books and add a bit of color to Seamus's walls.
I thought about painting them, but decided to leave the natural wood for now. It goes well with his dresser and stools (see here and here).
Picking the books was a little harder than I thought it would be. I wanted lots of yellow and red, but found a few punches of white helped balance things out. 
Picture books are really little pieces of art already, so it was fun to get some of my favorites off the bookshelf and on display. I'm sure to be continually shuffling these around all the time.
There you have it.  $16 for the shelves, and a couple of bucks for screws. As always, thank you to Bill for hanging them up!! I think I'll be adding some to Madeleine's room too, but I'm going to paint hers white first. Stay tuned!

And, in case you're wondering, from top to bottom, the books on the shelves are:
  Curious George by H.A. Rey
  Mix It Up! by Herve Tullet (which I talked more about here)
  One Thousand Things by Anna Kovecses
  The Story of Ferdinand by Munro Leaf
  Who Done It? by Olivier Tallec
  Last Stop On Market Street by Matt de la Peña
  The Little Engine That Could by Watty Piper
  My Big Dinosaur Book by Roger Priddy
  Bugs Galore by Peter Stein and illustrated by Bob Staake
  I Like You by Sandol Stoddard Warburg and illustrated by Jacqueline Chwast 


No comments:

Post a Comment