Pages

1.16.2017

Let's Go To The Movies - Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Friday night was date night, and Bill had been wanting to see Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

As a child, Jyn Erso's father is forced by the Empire to build the most dangerous weapon ever known, the Death Star. Now grown, she has received a message from him about the one and only way to destroy it. With the entire Rebel Alliance counting on her, Jyn leads a band of misfits on a life or death mission to steal the plans for the Death Star.

Full disclosure, for some reason, I wasn't too interested in seeing this film, and I might have dosed off here or there as well. Sorry.

I think if you're a big Star Wars fan then Rogue One: A Star Wars Story was probably right up your alley. While I enjoy the Star Wars franchise, I wouldn't say I'm a fanatic. So, the biggest problem I had with Rogue One was that it assumes you're very well versed in their universe. The film takes place directly before the original Star Wars, and while I have seen it a few times in my lifetime - it's been years since my last viewing, and I'm not one who has all the minute details of the film memorized. This is my long winded way of saying I was probably not the target audience for Rogue One, and I was a bit confused throughout, not so much with the plot, but by the who's who of all the characters.

I still enjoyed the film though. It's a bit darker than most of the films in the franchise both in content and look. Felicity Jones did great in the title role, and you know how I like my heroines. The film is action packed and had some really funny moments too. The new droid, K-2S0 (voiced by Alan Tudyk) along with the blind guardian-warrior, Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen), provided some much needed humor and great one-liners throughout. The battle scene was a tad long, but the payout is big, as the final moments of the film are worth the wait.

If you're a Star Wars fanatic, you'll love this film. If you're a casual fan, like me, love might be too strong a word, but it's an enjoyable enough ride.


No comments:

Post a Comment