Pages

1.23.2017

Why I Marched

I debated for a while whether or not to write about why I participated in the Womens March this past weekend. This isn't a political blog, nor do I want it to be; but it is a lifestyle blog of which my life is front and center. So, while I don't want to get into a huge political discussion here, I think it's important that we, no matter what our beliefs, get more involved in the political process; so I wanted to share why I marched.
At the core of my specific political beliefs are some underlying principles that I try to live by, hope others do as well, and especially expect from those elected to represent me in government - kindness, equality, respect, and generosity.  Yet, for the first time in my adult life, I am disheartened to find I see none of these qualities reflected in our current president.  

In addition, I found it deeply concerning that almost half our country's population either agreed with this man's rhetoric and behavior, or chose to turn a blind eye to it in exchange for keeping their party in charge. I guarantee you if the situation were reversed, I would have happily crossed party lines when casting my vote as some things are just more important than one's personal politics.

But, alas, here we are, and I'm afraid I see an America more akin to that of my parent's generation then the progressive and modern country I thought we had become. One that is scared of diversity instead of celebrating it. One that values money and greed over compassion and love. One that wants to build a wall to keep out "your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" instead of welcoming them in with open arms.

And you know what, I take my share of responsibility for that. I was complacent. I took my rights and the rights of others for granted. I thought what was hard fought and won by others was now safe for all eternity, and for that naive and misguided view I'm truly sorry. It's time for me to atone. It's time for me to do my part. This election showed me that. It woke me up, and you better believe I'm paying attention now. I could no longer sit on the sidelines just watching and waiting to see how this all unfolds.

So, I marched.

No comments:

Post a Comment