Pages

3.24.2017

Book Report - Matilda

I mentioned here that Madeleine and I read Roald Dahl's, Matilda, together before seeing the live musical to familiarize ourselves with the story before the show.
Matilda Wormwood is a special young girl of extraordinary intellect, but her family just finds her odd. When Matilda starts school she excels under the tutelage of the gentle and kind Miss Honey. However, the horrible headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, has other ideas of how children ought to be taught at school. As Matilda and Miss Honey's friendship grows, it becomes clear Matilda is going to have to take matters into her own hands to rid the school of the awful Miss Trunchbull.

What a lovely little book!

Seriously, how did I miss this one as a child. I know I read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and James and the Giant Peach, but I still somehow missed out on this Roald Dahl classic. Matilda is a fantastic little heroine, especially for the 10 and under set (boy or girl). She was so much fun, and I loved that she loves books! A girl after my own heart. The list of actual books Matilda reads at four years old is quite an extensive and grown up list. I hadn't even read them all! I had fun telling Madeleine which of them were my favorites though.

Mostly though, I loved the message of the book. Just because you're small doesn't mean you have no control over your situation in life. When you see injustices in your world, it's okay to use whatever skills you have to try and make things right. When you're small, that sometimes means being a little mischievous and occasionally breaking the rules. Life is what you make it, no matter your age.

Here's what Madeleine had to say about Matilda.

1.  Matilda is smart. She can do stuff with her eyes. 
2.  I liked the part where she mixes her dad's stuff into her mom's stuff and then his hair turns green
(It actually turns platinum blonde in the book. It was the stage musical where they had it turn bright green)
3.  I also like that she likes books. My mommy also likes books.

True dat, baby girl. True dat.

What are you reading with your kids? Madeleine and I just finished up Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone recently. That took us months to get through. She was probably a tad too young for it yet, but she still really liked it. Bill has been reading The Encyclopedia Brown series with her. It was a big favorite of his growing up. I'm thinking The Little House on the Prairie books are probably next up for her and I.

No comments:

Post a Comment