Pages

3.06.2017

Fan Girl - Bon Jovi

I'm not sure I've shared Madeleine's love of Bon Jovi here on the blog yet. One day, back when she was 4 years old, we were riding in the car listening to one of my playlists, when Livin' On A Prayer randomly came on. Part way through the song, Madeleine stopped and asked who was singing. I told her it was Bon Jovi, and she confidently exclaimed how much she liked the song. The connection she felt to that music was immediate.

Now, I enjoy Bon Jovi, but I'm no die hard fan or anything. I have his Greatest Hits album, and can sing along to a few classics, but that's it. Madeleine wanted more Bon Jovi though, and it wasn't long before she was totally Fan Girling.

Pretty soon, it was all she wanted to listen to in the car. Then, she would ask to watch his music videos on YouTube. She had me print out lyrics to her favorites, so she could learn the words and sing along better. It was both hilarious and adorable.

We picked up the new album, This House Is Not For Sale, when it was released last year; and when Bon Jovi announced they were going on tour...well, I felt it was in the stars for her to go. I'm serious when I tell you, his music speaks to her.

So, last Saturday, we headed downtown to catch the Phoenix leg of Bon Jovi's This House Is Not For Sale tour. She was so excited!
I was a little worried how she would handle the late hour of the concert. There was an opening act, so Bon Jovi didn't even take the stage until 8:30pm. That's about an hour and half past her normal bedtime.
She absolutely loved it though. She was standing on her chair and totally rocking out - dancing and singing at the top of her lungs.
I had more fun watching her watch Bon Jovi then watching Bon Jovi myself.
Yes, she rocked out so hard, that after an hour...this happened. It was so loud too, but she was out.
I was torn whether I should take her home or not. I was really enjoying the show. I figured this was most likely the only time I would ever get to see Bon Jovi in concert, and I really wanted to hear them sing Livin' On A Prayer.
My maternal instincts got the better of me though, and I woke Madeleine up to take her home. However, once she was up again, she decided she was hungry. I got her a hot pretzel, and she stayed awake for the rest of the concert. The closed the show with Livin' On A Prayer, and it was so much fun to sing along with the band and 10,000 other people too.

As for the concert itself, I must say, Bon Jovi puts on quite the show. There was so much energy in the arena. You could tell they were having fun, and everybody watching was having fun too.

Do you remember your first concert? How old were you? Mine was Aerosmith's Nine Lives tour when I was 18.

No comments:

Post a Comment