Pages

4.03.2017

Let's Go To The Movies - Get Out

Some girlfriends and I went to check out the new horror flick, Get Out over the weekend.

Chris Washington (Daniel Kaluuya) and his white girlfriend, Rose Armitage (Allison Williams), are headed out-of-town for the weekend to meet her family for the first time at her parents' (Bradley Whitford and Catherine Keener) secluded country estate. Welcomed warmly by her family, Chris soon begins to feel uneasy about the goings on at the estate. He tolerates the subtle racist overtones of the Armitage's family friends, but it's the strange behavior of the black servants and guest that has Chris ready to high-tail it out of there. The only question is, will he be able to get out in time?

It's been ages since I went out to the theater to see a horror film. I used to love them, but as I've gotten older I don't care so much for all the gore. I actually didn't even know Get Out was a horror film until a few hours before I saw it. I still wanted to go though. I had heard nothing but rave reviews, and it had a 99% approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes which is practically unheard of.

Needless to say, I was highly impressed with Get Out. It was just so creepy! There is a little bit of gore at the end, but it definitely was going for a different kind of scare and thoroughly succeeded. It's highly topical, and presents an interesting commentary on race and racism.

I think what I liked most though, was that there was so obviously something wrong happening at the estate, but nothing gets revealed to the audience until it is finally revealed to Chris. The whole film I was on the edge of my seat just wanting to know what was going on. It had a great suspense, a tremendous build, and one heck of a satisfyingly climatic ending. The horror genre has just been reinvented, my friends. I highly recommend checking out Get Out.

No comments:

Post a Comment