Pages

6.09.2017

Date Night - U2 Concert

On the last night of our trip back home, Bill and I headed to Chicago to see U2 in concert at Soldier Field, and it was everything!!

It took forever to get to Soldier Field from Milwaukee, and we literally rolled into the stadium right at the 7pm start time. We grabbed some food and drinks and settled in for the night. #nerdsinlove
Bill was excited to see the opening act, The Lumineers! He's a big fan.
I'd say I was more of a casual fan, in that I knew who they were and a couple of their songs. Let me tell you though, they put on a great show; and I loved that they have a cellist in their band (Neyla Pekarek). They completely won me over. 

Around 8:30pm, the moment we were waiting for finally arrived. U2 took the stage - Larry, Adam, The Edge, and Bono!! 
This was "The Joshua Tree Tour 2017" celebrating 30 years since their epic 1987 album "The Joshua Tree" was released.
They started off on a B-stage and played a few of their early hits - "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "New Year's Day", "Bad", and "Pride (In the Name of Love)".
Then, they moved to the main stage and literally played "The Joshua Tree" album cover to cover in its entirety. I've never been to a concert where they've done that before. It was such an awesome tribute to the album.
If you're unfamiliar with "The Joshua Tree" album, the song list went as follows: "Where the Streets Have No Name", "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For", "With Or Without You", "Bullet the Blue Sky", "Running to Stand Still", "Red Hill Mining Town", "In God's Country", "Trip Through Wires", "One Tree Hill", "Exit", and "Mothers of the Disappeared".
And of course, it wouldn't be a U2 concert without a little (or a lot) of political imagery and rhetoric. Let me tell you, there was a lot of love in Soldier Field that night.   
They left the stage, but of course, came back for an encore - "Beautiful Day", "Elevation", "Miss Sarajavo", "Ultra Violet (Light My Way)", "One", and "I Will Follow".

I don't know if it was it because it was U2, or because it was at Soldier Field, or because I got to experience it with Bill, or if it was a combination of all three; but it was, by far, the most amazing concert I have ever been to. It was a bucket list experience for the both of us that I will remember always.

P.S. Fan Girl - Bon Jovi | Date Night - Cooking Class



No comments:

Post a Comment